Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Raul raring to go for World Cup

The Real Madrid striker feels fresh and ready to guide his national team to glory in Germany having fully recovered from a serious knee injury that sidelined him for three months.

"After my injury, this tournament will see me arrive in the best physical condition," said Raul, who captained Spain at Euro 2004 and the 2002 World Cup.

"My condition is improving day by day.

"This could be my last tournament and I'm really looking forward to playing."

However, as good as the news of Raul's return is, Spanish fans will be concerned about his current goalscoring drought.

The 28-year-old only struck five Primera Liga goals this campaign, his lowest total since breaking into Madrid's first team 12 seasons ago.

His last goal dates back to October 26 and he is is eager to strike again, adding: "I'm sure than when I score again, other goals will follow."

Spain have a friendly against Russia on Saturday which will serve as a preparation for their first game on German soil, against Group H rivals Ukraine on June 14.

"The most complicated game is always the first," admitted Raul. "Not only because of the team we face but due to the pressure there always is in a first game."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home